Aaron spent the entire weekend deer hunting.
The poor boy woke up long before the sun and sat in his tree stand through cold, windy, rainy weather but didn’t see a single buck he could get a shot on.
To make things even more exhausting, he had to be out of the woods and clean up in time to make it to work at Harned’s!
So to make up for his long weekend, I decided I’d have a hot supper waiting for Aaron when he got back to Bowling Green.
I invented my own chowder combining some of his favorite things: beef, potatoes, cheese and broccoli (O.K., maybe the last one was one of my favorite things).
We’re going to have to come up with a better name for this dish because my Cheesy-Broccoli-Beef-Potato Chowder was a hit with my favorite hunter and will definitely become a cold weather staple of ours!
Celeste’s Cheesy-Broccoli-Beef-Potato Chowder
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter/margarine
3 cups milk
3 cups chicken broth (FYI: This is 2 1/2 cans)
1/4 cup flour
4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb ground beef
4 cups broccoli, frozen florets
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Brown ground beef, make sure it reaches a “safe and savory” internal temperature of 160 degrees. Set aside.
2. In stock pot, saute onions in butter until clear.
3. Add milk, chicken broth, flour and potatoes. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste (I used garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s Seasoning.)
5. Stir in cooked broccoli, browned ground beef and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated thoroughly.
I hope you’ll enjoy this hearty chowder as much as we did!
Feel free to comment with name suggestions. We’re going to have to come up with something more catchy than Celeste’s Cheesy-Broccoli-Beef-Potato Chowder!